Depression is one of the leading burden of diseases worldwide, and it can appear at any decade of life. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, the occurrence of this condition among teenagers is increasing drastically. More so, studies show that about 8% of teens experience depression yearly. However, conventional antidepressants have been seen to help this condition, and homeopathy has been an effective complementary treatment for depression in teenagers.
Teenagers who are depressed have a high tendency of taking wrong actions. One 13-year-old high school student (anonymous), who was a happy and playful young one lost her dad while in high school, and this caused her to skip a lot of meals as a result of depression.
Some teenagers tend to have feelings of less self-worth when they are depressed. Some others tend to face social media stress as a result of depression. However, eating disorders are more commonly associated with teenage depression.
Many other catastrophic situations are triggered by this condition among teenagers, but all these situations could have been controlled if parents, guardians, or teachers recognized the early signs.
But because adolescence is characterized by rapid physical, intellectual, and emotional changes, most parents and schools often attribute depression in teenagers to “just a phase a teenage child goes through,” and expect the teen to “outgrow it.”
But this is not always the case as many teenagers may suffer from major depression, which may impair development and quality of life, cause eating disorders, social media stress, low self-esteem, and in some cases lead to suicide. Little wonder researchers suggest that teenage depression is underrated and often underdiagnosed.
Depression in teenagers is often a response to stress and unfavorable situation. It is common in the adolescent age because of the maturation process, and the influence of sex hormones.
But sometimes, it can be caused by independence conflicts with patents, problems with girlfriends or boyfriends, failure at school, or the death of a relative
Common Signs of Depression in Teenagers
Here are some signs to watch out for to recognize depression in teenagers:
- Increased agitation or irritability
- Persistent hopelessness or sadness
- Withdrawal from friends or academic activities.
- Poor self-esteem or guilt
- Changes in sleeping or eating habits
- Drug and/or alcohol abuse
- Missed school or poor academic performance
- Thoughts of suicide or death
- Frequent physical complaints, such as stomachaches and headaches.
- Lack of concentration, indecision, or forgetfulness
Homeopathic Remedies for Teenage Depressions
The use of homeopathy has exploded within the last several decades as an effective complementary treatment for a host of different disorders, including depression.
Homeopathy works on the mind symptoms. It goes beyond the conventional system to flush out the impressions created in the mind by unfavorable situations or stressful events.
The beauty of homeopathic remedies is that it has specific medicines for every symptom of depression resulting from a particular situation. This covers for indignation, loss of a loved one, sexual abuse, and being dominated by peers, etc.
Some of the important homeopathic remedies in treating depression include Lycopodium, Kali Phos, Natrum Mur, Aurum Met, and Staphysgaria. Other measures include psychotherapy and counseling- they play a major role in treating depression in teenagers.
These remedies are tailor made to your needs and are manufactured from the best standards of care in Australia. More so, they are safe or everyone, including nursing moms, pregnant women, children, elderly, etc. And the beauty is that they have no dangerous side-effects.
Benefits of Using Homeopathic Remedies for Teenage Depression
Using homeopathic remedies for supporting treatment of teenage depression offers many benefits, including:
- Homeopathic remedies can be taken to complement conventional medications.
- It is safe for every age group- from babyhood to old age
- It can be used in acute and chronic conditions
- It offers a holistic approach to treating depression: one that involves the mind, body, and emotions of the individual.
- It pays close attention to the unique symptoms of the teenager and treats them as the unique individual that they are.
- Homeopaths have more than 2000 remedies for different situations and will prescribe the medicine that is the closest match to the identified symptoms.
- Homeopathic remedies are from natural sources, and they are diluted to produce a gentle healing effect.
- Homeopathic medicines are non-invasive, and they support your body’s own natural healing capabilities.
- Homeopathic remedies are inexpensive and readily available
- Homeopathic remedies can be stored for long periods of time
One interesting thing about homeopathic remedies is that it helps to complement conventional treatments, and using such an integrated approach is a great option for a depressed teenager.
So invariably, the homeopath can work together with a psychiatrist to treat depression in teenagers. The psychiatrist diagnoses and evaluates the symptoms, and refer the cases to homeopaths, who in turn add homeopathic remedies without interfering with the psychiatrist’s treatment.
The beauty is that there is no adverse effect when homeopathic medicines are taken to complement conventional treatment.
What You Can Do As a Parent
A lot of parents believe it’s only when they access their child’s social media pages that they can truly know how they’re feeling, but that’s not true. While it’s important to give your teenage child space so they don’t feel threatened, it’s important to listen out for cues as to how they’re feeling.
Learn how to see things from your teenage child’s perspective:
- If you observe your teenager giving out negative statements about themselves, you can give them positive messages back. More so, you can encourage them to take on new activities, adventures, and challenges. This can help them break out of depression.
- Try to acknowledge the fact that your child is upset and listen to them. Let them know you noticed they’re not happy, and that you’re ready to talk about it. This helps to keep the ball rolling, especially if your teen is unreserved. But if you have an uncommunicative teen, you can try to talk to them on their terms- either through email or texts saying you noticed they’re down and you are willing to talk if they need you.
- Learn to always listen to your instincts. If you’re concerned that something isn’t right, talk about it and seek help.
Homeopathic remedies work effectively for teenage depression and they are prescribed based on the unique symptoms expressed by the teenager. However, these medicines only work to complement conventional treatments, especially in cases where the teenager is suicidal or psychotic.
You can consult us at Morkare Natural Clinic to get the best homeopathic remedies for teenage depression. We come across as caring, hence the name “Morkare,” which is pronounced as “more care.” We have a wide experience in dealing with teenage depression and we have helped a lot of teenagers regain their self-esteem to enjoy good quality living.